Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fire Burnin'

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Released June 26th by Avon


"You think my blood is the only tie between us?"
His voice was low, yet edged with palpable hunger. It seemed to rub me in places I'd only ever touched before, making my anger fade under a flash of desire. Vlad was so close that his hair was a shadowy veil all around me, and when he began to caress my face with light, sure strokes, it was all I could do not to close my eyes in bliss.
"This is our true tie," he whispered, his breath falling hotly onto my lips. "You're meant for me, and I will have you."



A tragic accident leaves Leila disfigured and with supernatural powers where she can connect to someones past, present and future with just a mere touch as well as the power to channel electricity. Finding herself disowned by the only family she has and working as a sideshow freak in a carnival, Leila along with her best friend Marty, a midget vampire, she's starting to build a life for herself and survive the best way she knows how. But an accident at the local bar, her anonymity is threatened and is no longer just Frankie the carnie, she attracts the attention of some evil vamps that kidnap her and she's forced to locate the infamous Vlad.


Vlad Tepesh, master vampire and fierce protector of his line, he runs his vamps with an iron fist. But a chance meeting with the lovely Leila, threatens his emotionless existence and awakens feelings believed to be long destroyed. Together with Leila its a race to uncover the vampire set out to destroy him. And now that he has Leila he's desperate to keep her by his side.


After finding out that Jeaniene Frost was adding another spin-off to her Night Huntress series and it featuring the sexy, cocksure, enigmatic Vlad I was ecstatic to say the least! But imagining it and reading it are two different things. In one word A-fucking-mazing! Vlad and Leila are more than I expected and I enjoyed every page of this book. As I read it in like a day.


Vlad was certainly a cocky bastard and Leila is a perfect counterpart for him. She's fierce, strong and totally kick ass! She was able to keep up with him physically and their banter was great. She's definitely a woman that knew how to get her way and fought for what she believed in. One of my favorite scenes is when she wanted to set a trap for the bigbad in the story, where she was trying to get Vlad on the same page....she tried her best to stroke his ego so-to-speak(not that she needed to..its already big enough as it is):


"Not Dracula," I said with a faint smile as I turned around. "Vlad Tepesh former viovode of Wallachia and the most arrogant, deadly, frightening man I've ever met."

His lips curled with disdainful amusement. "Compliments won't sway me more than the word please, Leila."

"You take those as complements?" Gretchen was incredulous.

"Of course." His smile bared fangs. "She named all my best qualities."



Not being able to touch anyone with out killing them and/or causing them serious harm, Leila has had to face some serious obstacles add that to knowing all the sins of those she's touched and everyday life for her is a struggle. But the through it all Leila still kept her spunk! All her challenges, she still had serious lady balls and I loved that about her. She was able to keep up with Vlad and his cockiness.


"You're hot, big deal," I shot back, refusing to let his knowledge of my most intimate thoughts daunt me. "I'm attracted to a lot of hot guys. If Chris Hemsworth were here, I'd light him up like a firecracker with how fast I'd jump on him."

"And that would kill him," Vlad noted.





Speaking of...Vlad was just wonderful! He was definitely his fierce, alphalicious self and I fell in love all over again! Fans of the Night Huntress series will just gobble this one up...I know I did! His self assuredness knows know bounds which made for an enjoyable read.


"If I didn't want you so much", he said in a deadly purr, "I'd let you keep fucking me with your gaze, but you're making me impatient."


All in all, awesome start to a series that has me begging for more. I found myslef laughing out loud and fanning myself on many occasions. Leila and Vlad are the best couple second to Cat and Bones and I'm dying to read more about these two....especially since we were left with a tantalizing line from dear Leila:


"Get ready, Vlad," I whispered into the empty room. "This is far from over."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to chat...drop me

XOXOXO
VanesMate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...